Monday, July 7, 2008

Wisdom in the Twilight

I generally go through much broken sleep each night. I wake up almost every hour but usually look at the clock and roll back to sleep. In those moments of twilight I am not sure if I am awake but sleepy, or if I am asleep but almost awake. But it is a time when I seem to have many profound thoughts. They come out of nowhere and yet the second they burst into my mind, I know they are special and wise and true.

I had one of those last night. It was a polished gem. I know it! But like all of those pieces of wisdom, they don't seem to survive the transition from sleep to awake, or vice versa. I am having my coffee, racking my brain to remember what brilliant thought entered my brain in that twilight time, but just like that special moment of unique light when day turns to night, it was there for a moment and then lost until the next twilight moment,

1 comment:

-Jon said...

I find that the late night hours are special, especially after midnight. I'm not fully awake most of the time, but there are nights when I just can't and don't want to go back to sleep right away as my thought, fantasies and imagination just seem to be full of an awareness that I don't always experience when I'm awake.

I'm happy that you have you late night moments. Just don't lose too much sleep over them.