Thursday, July 10, 2008
Confucius Says
"I will not be concerned at other men's not knowing me; I will be concerned at my own want of ability." Confucius quote of the day. So I thought I would try to say what I thought this meant so that I would be better able to internalize it. I should not focus on what other people think of me, but rather I should be concerned about what I can be. The phrase 'want of ability' could be envy of others' skills, or it could be my own lack of skill in a particular area, or it could mean being concerned with my own needs. It is kind of funny because I don't think it matters which definition you choose for 'want of ability', they should all be concerns before what others know or think of us. We should be concerned if we are envious, or if we are lacking, or if we are not taking care of our needs. I think the statement is one to strive for. I will not . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You continue to look in positive directions. I believe your insight is correct and that we should all focus on what you bring to light.
Thanks!
Perhaps the ability to know oneself... - AL
Post a Comment