Monday, August 18, 2008

A Run

Today I got up at 5 AM and went running. I haven't been running for a long time because of severe pain in my knee. But I bought new running shoes and thought I would try again. Got about a mile and a half before the pain in the knee was telling me I would regret it if I go further. So I walked a bit to get home. I will work on weight training to see if that will help the knee, but it just might be that I can't run any longer.

I realize that a certain amount of pain comes with development. Certainly my abs let me know that after crunches! The question I still have not answered for myself is when does pain represent growth and when is it just pain. I would especially like to get that answer with respect to relationships as well. But I think that, for now, I am going to use a measure of control. If I can control the pain and discomfort of a workout, know its limits and go only as far in the discomfort as I choose, then it is OK pain. If it gets away from me and hurts more or for longer than I expected, I probably did something I didn't want to do.

We'll see how that works! Got to go take an ibuprofen.

No comments: