Friday, August 1, 2008

Harmony

Jon is practicing right now. The music is flowing around the house and my toe starts tapping and my body, at these times, seems to need to move to whatever he is playing. The word harmonics popped into my head and then harmony, so I went to Wikipedia to see what they said about it.

The term harmony derives from the Greek ἁρμονία (harmonía), meaning "joint, agreement, concord" and that from the verb ἁρμόζω (harmozo), "to fit together, to join". In Ancient Greek music, the term was used to define the combination of contrasted elements: a higher and lower note.

Now it is not a mystery to me why I feel my closest to Jon when he is in the other room, playing his music. It is the time that we are in accord, when we fit together. The music helps us fit together. I chuckled at the higher and lower note reference - you can guess which one I am! I wonder if music helps join others. With so many people walking around with mp3 players, isolated by their headphones, it is hard to see people joining together. But get one of those wizards who can make music (it seems like magic to me) and then you see people binding together. They smile, move in synchronization (if they have rhythm), and are joined in the sound. That is truly magic!

2 comments:

-Jon said...

Playing music, especially bass guitar, is one of my true passions. I now realize that it is important to you and to us. I'll keep playing for you honey.

Adam and Anya said...

OK! We should have a family music night! You should hear Adam and I sing Endless Love...haha just kidding.

But seriously, let's do that sometime.