I am sure that those of you regularly reading this blog will be glad when I finish with watching the chapters of “A New Earth” on Oprah.com. Today was chapter eight and it was a bit more boring than the last few, but I always seem to be captured by some quotes that resonate with me. So here they go:
This too shall pass. I love this one! I was already using it before reading this book but I use it much more now. If things are not pleasant, I find it helps to know that the unpleasantness will pass. But I find the converse to be even more important – any pleasantness will also pass. That means that we should cherish and enjoy each good thing that comes into our life, because it too shall pass. This might bother some people and make them want to hold on tighter to joy, but I find it to be a kind of poignant reminder that all that we love is here and then gone, and we should make the most of what we have, when we have it! Today, Anya told me that her niece-to-be (Adams’s brother’s child) was stillborn this morning. This is a very sad time for their family and particularly the parents. At the same time, it reminds me that they had the moments of anticipation for this child, the naming, and the buying of clothing, the excitement and the anticipation. Sadly, those are all they will have with this little soul, but those moments are no less important; in fact, they are the most important for being all that there will be. Every smile that we get from family, every hug, every small and large piece of good times should be cherished because this too shall pass! My sympathies to Brian and Scottie for their loss.
Not accepting or letting go brings suffering. Struggling against a situation which is, even if we don’t wish it to be, just makes us more miserable. I really do get this one; unfortunately I sometimes can’t help myself from struggling anyway! In grief therapy, acceptance must come before recovery and I think it is true with all unpleasantness. We must own up to the fact that something may not be what we wish, but it is anyway! By accepting it, we stop railing against what would have, could have, should have. That saves us from suffering more. I have been working on this one a lot. If you see me being non-accepting, give me a boot, will you?
Finally, there was a discussion about how can you go about the business of life, earning your keep, paying bills and such if you are trying to find “your inner space”. What was interesting about the discussion was that ‘doing’ was a big part of it, and I realized that I am most able to find that space in the actual doing of living! This might be the reason that so many of the day-to-day tasks that I accomplish at home and in the business world look easy to others. It is because when I try to do these daily activities, I tend to go in zone that I am coming to equate with that inner space they talk about. Since the activity is in alignment with my inner being, it is accomplished with ease and to its fullest. This has made me happy to realize because I really face the world by doing what is in front of me and now I realize that there is the element of facing the Now in this practice. Lots of times when I am working on a task, I am not judging, not resisting and not attached to the task except to complete it. Tolle says this is the way to create the space that is Consciousness. I guess I was unconscious to the fact that I was actually conscious!! J Just kidding!
I am learning more every day. The one that is going to be most difficult is for me to go into feelings. To feel them, identify them, and to experience them is stuff that I rarely do. This is the work that I need to get going on. I feel like the child that cries and laughs at the same time and doesn’t know why. I have a lot to do in this area but I am committed to doing the work. Work has never been the problem for me.
There are just two more chapters left and then I shall be off to do other types of exploration. For my own reference I will come back to this chapter and watch minutes 39-44 because there were some powerful statements there about marriage and how to make decisions. It was great stuff!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I watched Tolle on Oprah.com as you suggested and found the bit about Christ and the cross quite interesting. I also took some time last night to watch Chapters 4, 5, and 7 - alot of stuff there. I'm still finding it hard to live in the moment, though I try stillness exercises to bring me there. Hope all is well. See you Saturday.
Hey there lady! Wow, I can relate to the things you are saying on your blog. It is true, once you accept things and face your emotions and feelings, things just seem to fall into place. Before going to Italy, I was in a dark place, confused. It is strange that every 7 to 10 yrs I have gone through "dark periods" in my life. I fight and fight to avoid conflict and bad times, however, in reality, those hard times really truly help one to figure out who they are and what they are made of...Sometimes, I think that is my personal wake up call which is saying you are not living..you are not enjoying the beautiful people in your life and you are not being true to yourself! Accepting feelings for what they are, rather than holding them down seems to be like a cleansing of the soul...
I miss you! I laughed at your comment on my blog...and hell yes, you definitely put it in perspective...yes, I would definitely deal with crappy banks than Lynn any time of the year!
Post a Comment