Last night, we watched the Opening Ceremonies for the Olympics with the Barrys. It was a very nice evening. It was also an awesome spectacle. There were 15,000 performers; no one performed more than once; the costumes were gorgeous; the fireworks were huge (I especially loved the footprints walking across Beijing); and the special effects were wondrous. For all of the special effects, it was the unity of purpose and the synchronization of the performers that was the most remarkable. I told the Barrys that we were witnessing the strength of the Chinese people when we see how so many could be so close in action with each other. I was proud for them that they were able to show the world some of what they are made of.
This morning, there was news that an American was killed there in a stabbing. It was sad that after such a spectacular event, the next piece of news was one of violence. But then I remembered to put things into perspective - 15,000 performed wonderfully for our entertainment and made the world a brighter place; one performed a horrible act to take some of the brightness away. We all (I) need to remember not to give more importance to negative than we (I) give to positive. Balance. It is a beautiful thing, and it incorporates both the dark and the light.
These types of meanderings may sound preachy and I am sorry if they do. It is not my intention. I use these to remind my self to keep balance within my own life. When one tries yoga, they find how hard balance really is, how many muscles work, and how easily it is to lose it. Life is about balance and all those ideas apply as well. It takes practice (like these thoughts) and the development of muscle (ideas to look for both positive and negative). The negative can so easily throw us off balance (or me anyway). But the past year has helped me develop some muscle. I feel better able to balance and it is becoming more instinctive as well. That's the power of practice. Now I'll go to the gym and practice some different balance and use some different muscles!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I loved you bog this morning! I wish I could achieve balance. Maybe I already have it and don't know it. The negative seems so powerful and the positive so weak. Maybe this is because I'm not looking for the positive or being thankful for all the blessings in my life. One thing positive about last night is that we were all together watching such a magnificent spectacle, not to mention the Chinese food the Barry's so kindly bought for all of us to share.
I was actually able to stay up until the event was over at eleven, thanks to a very long midday nap.
Keep blogging away Deb, you're doing a very good job of it.
I loved watching the opening ceremonies. We can all learn from other cultures.
I'd like to think others watching had more appreciation and understanding of China.
Time to take a trip to Bejing!
Post a Comment