Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Long Weekend and Beyond

The weekend seemed to float by. I spent most of Saturday housecleaning. Although Anya says my house always looks clean, I am very glad that she doesn't look closely! I got in quite the groove, dusting, wiping down counters, vaccuming, picking up and laundry. My laundry and Dave's. And Dave has enough for three people! I find something soothing ususally about the doing of laundry. It probably harkens back to the days of a large family and cloth diapers, when laundry was a daily occurrence of many loads of wash.

Sunday included some yard work, reading and some spiritual work. As a matter of fact, a lot of spiritual work. I also did some grocery shopping, cleaned the pool and all of those other tasks that need to get done around the house.

Yesterday, I went to the gym, becuase I never got there on Saturday. I did 12.5 miles on the bike (and luckily I am not really sore today!) I listened to the last of the Oprah-Tolle chapters, did some reading and watched some coverage of the hurricane. But everything seemed to be somewhat fuzzed, as if I was there but not really. I feel like I am at the point of a significant change in my life and this is the calm beofre the storm.

I had an interview Friday, and I have two second interviews this week. I feel that it is most likely that one or both of these opportunities will present itself. Then I will be back to work after a year off. So I was reflecting on that a little this weekend and I was so grateful that I took the scary step to quit work, take time off and think about my life. I have been working very hard on ME. While some people might say that there is little change, I would disagree becuase inside I feel totally different! I feel that I have learned what was driving me and killing me in my life. I feel like I have some skills in preventing those behaviors in the future. I have had practice in using them with the volunteering that I have done.

I think even more importantly I have come to accept my talents. Many people have told me that I am very talented in business, but that sounded boring, uninspring and dull to me. I also felt the fear of failure and those combined left me unaccepting of what I am capable of. But this time off has taught me that a business sense really is a talent and that the business sense, together with a caring for people can make change happen in the world. With this acceptance, things actually get easier. I am eager to start work again and see if this ease translates into even bigger changes in life.

I am hopeful about my future. I don't know what it will be but I am hopeful nonetheless!

No comments: