Yesterday I went with Anya, John and Ella to the Zoo Walk for Autism Research. They picked me up promptly at 6 AM and off we went to the zoo. Since Ella is not a morning person, she didn't actually talk to anyone until we had started walking around the zoo. John, on the other hand, was excited to be going, so he had sparkling eyes and was talking up a storm. I was half awake and thank goodness Annya was awake because she was driving!
When we got the the Municpal Stadium parking, it was amazing how many people and actual teams were there. We just made our small contribution, got one tee shirt for the small contribution, donned our wrist bands and started walking towards the zoo. There were some teams there that had dozens of people, corporate sponsorship and shared tee shirts. We weren't that noticeable!
The walk took us up a pedestrian overpass and for those who know me, know also that I am afraid of heights. John is also aware of this, which is why he kept a running commentary like "Gee Nana! Look how high we are!" and "Boy, we are going real high. Look done Nana!" Thanks John!
The day was beautiful, the company was the best and the cause was an important one. We walked all around. Ellan and John always seemed to know when a hill was coming so that they positioned themselves in a stroller or our arms for the climbs. I have to say that when i finally got home I did the elderly thing and took a nap.
They had to have made tens of thousands of dollars Saturday and I am glad. When you see first hand how many families are affected by autism, you realize there are real needs in dealing with the spectrum disorders. Thanks Anya for inviting me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh my goodness. Elderly? I took a nap too...dang.
Good times!
Post a Comment