Thursday, October 30, 2008

It's Early

It's early - 4:42 am. I am up because I have my first Board meeting today for the company I am working at. While all Board meetings are stressful, the first is particularly so. I have not met any of the Board, I do not yet have exposure to the style, dynamics or questions the Board ususally has, and being so new, I feel less in charge of the numbers.

Having said all that, there is a difference with this one. I seem to be more calm and actually less stressed. I am telling myself that I know that I will do my best, and if that is not enough, then there was nothing more I could do anyway! However, old habits die hard and so I am up and reviewing my slides.

This company is a career college and that is really different than any other industry that I have worked in. For the CFO, this industry presents many more regulations that must be adhered to. So I am learning all of those. But at the end of the day, business and good performance is about people, process and motivation. And in those areas, I know my stuff!

It is actually a little weird writing this because I am usually not so confident. But the year off to reflect has helped me see that I do have strong business capabilities and to really focus on my strengths in the business world. My staff seems to be glad that I am there. They tell me that I am much more hands on than the last CFO and that they like that.

Work has always been important to me. I think that I find pleasure in a job well done. And I appreciate the fact that I am finding pleasure in something that is also beneficial and practical. I am trying to broaden my horizons, though, and find some pleasures that don't pertain to work. Certainly time with my family is one of them! Finding others is difficult for me. People have lots of suggestions. They just don't seem to light me up! I need to keep working on this area of my life - having fun, doing pleasurable things.

Whoops! It's almost 5 am. Better get in the shower and on the road. My commute is between 1 hour and 1 hour 20 min. I would like to review one more time so I better try to beat some traffic. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Adam and Anya said...

You need to try and sleep in till noon. Now THAT'S relaxed!!
:)

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of you and wishing you the best as you present at your Board meeting. By the time you read this, it will be over and I bet you will have done a good job.

I hate meeting new people as you know. So anyone, like you, who has the strength and courage to participate in these aspects of life I take my hat off.

New changes are coming for all of us and we will survive, you're living proof of that. I have much change ahead of me and you are my light and example.