Yesterday I had a fantastic culinary adventure with Gary and Adam. First we went to see the movie Julie and Julia. Loved it! I so wanted to know Julia as a friend. She was fearless and fun. The cooking was mouthwatering and the jokes were great. The movie was good enough to want to cook more. I think, though, that many of the scenes would be lost on those who did not know of Julia Child or had never seen her in action on the many cooking shows that she appeared.
Then, with our hunger up, we went to Vogue Bistro in Surprise. This is probably one of the best restaurants in Phoenix, in my opinion.
Appetizers: We got a flat bread with roasted fennel and sausage and their cheese plate, which included brie, goat cheese, Gouda, Gorgonzola, some hard cheese, red grapes and fig chutney with fresh bread.
Entrees: Gary got a Hawaiian grouper with tomatoes and other stuff (this is why I am not a food writer!). I got pistachio-crusted rack of lamb with couscous and a lamb ratatouille. The ratatouille was absolute heaven! The most flavorful mouth full I have ever tasted! Adam got the meatloaf. Since I had it earlier in the week I can tell you it is definitely gourmet, made with Black Angus beef covered in a Sherry reduction with asparagus and potatoes Au gratin.
Dessert: We had to go back for seconds! The first dessert was a dark chocolate cake with Madagascar vanilla sauce. This cake was as rich as chocolate ganache! Still greedy for the flavors, we ordered the Crème Brûlée. I love that dessert and have ordered it many times in many places. This one was so light and creamy and flavorful, I just had to close my eyes and savor it!
Of course the place has great designer martinis, which were awesome, the company was topnotch and we had a half hour conversation with the owner, as he told us stories about the tastes of various customers in the Surprise area. If you want to see pictures and live vicariously through the reading of menus just look them up at voguebistro.com.
We came back to my place to sit under the stars and just reflect on the quality of the food. If I envy rich people anything in life, it is the ability to eat as we did last night any time or every time. We ate slow, we shared, we laughed and we experienced the joy of food that was evident in the movie that we had just watched.
Gary and Adam are leaving for Massachusetts soon. They are excited to go return to the East and I am happy for them. But I am sad to see them go. However, I now have a perfect memory of a perfect time and a perfect meal with perfect friends! Blessing to you both. I love you and I will miss you! What a great meal!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment