It turned out to be a lazy day. I putted around in the morning and got some grocery shopping done. Picked David up at the airport and had an impromptu cookout with Anya's family and David while we watched the thunderstorms pass us by.
There was one fly in the ointment and it was one of my own doing. It had to do with a particular series of Facebook entries. I have a niece who is married to a man that I think most of us have not met because he has this thing about meeting his wife's family. In any event, they share a Facebook account and routinely there are angry and hateful comments coming from that account. Cumulatively they really started to bother me and so I made what I hoped was a gentle prod for civility.
Now I should have recognized that this was one of those situations where egos were going to flare and start a war, but I was not really paying attention to my detriment. Needless to say, whoever, niece or nephew-in-law, responded by escalating the nasties. At that point, I realized that whatever benefit I got from hearing the positive items happening in that family was totally overshadowed by the negative energy coming from the hateful entries and I deleted them from my "friend" list.
But Saturday became a day for reflecting on all Tolle ("A New Earth") said about egos, because mine kept going most of the day. It just kept working on what was said, what could have been said, thinking all kinds of derogatory things of the others, and negativity just kept growing in me! Finally, I just started watching it, kind of like a spectator sport, waiting for it to lose energy. I think it is mostly gone now. I learned my lesson: Don't try to rise above the negativity of others or try to change it - run from it the second you feel it! It is so insidious and easy to get hooked and so hard to shake it once it grabs on. Isn't that just like the road rage that lasts an entire day!
I am disappointed that I didn't get full enjoyment value form my lazy day, but I am thankful and hopeful that I didn't let others get a piece of that ego I was carrying! Here's to great Sundays!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment