Sunday, April 19, 2009

One Weekend in the Life

Weekends are supposed to be about balancing out the rest of the week - rest, leisure, home chores, whatever is not the work of the week. So I thought I would describe this weekend in my life.

Yesterday started at 5:30 AM, when I got up, showered, dressed and took my OJ and supplements. I went out and brushed the pool, then gathered a shovel, rake and gloves. I loaded the dishwasher and started it and sat down to read emails (most of which are HOA related). At 6:15, my friend Bryan came and picked me up to go to the Suprise Stadium for the start of Pride Day. I signed in, got my t-shirt (with CAPTAIN written across the back), and began chatting with other volunteers there that I recognized. After they announced captians, team and rules, we headed back to the neighborhood to start cleaning some weed covered front yards. I had done my drive-by Friday night so that I knew which houses we were doing and in what order.

We started whacking, chopping, raking, sweeping and gathering weeds and trash from these homes left vacant due to foreclosure. In all we cleaned seven homes. I was proud of my team - some family, some friends, some strangers. We worked hard, but we talked and joked and had fun too. We worked until 10:30 AM and then headed back to the Stadium for some food and raffles. Johnny won a $50 gift card to Safeway! As is usual for me, there were no winnings! I went home - got there about noon, had something to drink, and promptly took a nap!

Got up, took a shower and headed out to do some errands. I needed to pick up some stuff for me, and for the Block Party next weekend. So I wound up going to Home Depot, Michaels, PetSmart, and Walmart. On the way home, I was feeling sore and depleted so I stopped at a nail place and got a a pedicure and manicure with the birthday gift certificate I got from the Barrys. It was heaven.

On the way home I stopped at Anya's to see how she was doing as she has been sick for a while and I also wanted her to know the results of my errands. Around 6:00 PM Adam asked me if I wanted to eat spaghetti with them and beign as I was exhausted it sounded like a good deal!

Dinner was good and I enjoyed talking to them. Then I played and wrestled with the kids on the floor for a while. At this point there was no feeling anything any longer! Went home around 8:00 PM and whatched TV until 9:00PM, when Dave got home from work. I read for a little while and fell asleep.

Benny decided he needed to go out at 1 AM on Sunday and Drea (Dave's cat thought it was time to stalk and pounce on Deb's legs. It wasn't! Got back to sleep but I tossed and turned alot because my shoulders were sore from all the shovel wielding.

Got up this morning at six and took Benny for a 1-mile run and 2-mile walk. Came home and swept pool, picked up dog poo, trimmed the roses, pruned the shrubs in front and one shrub in back, put out the trash, vacuumed the house, unloaded the dishwasher and I am finishing the last of four loads of laundry! It is coming on 3:00 PM and my back aches and I am beat. But I know that I still have to read through my HOA board material (about 100 pages). Yuck!

I actually got more tired writing this. The moral of the story - I must be insane!

1 comment:

Adam and Anya said...

So THIS is where I get my insanity.