Saturday, January 8, 2011

Puttin' on the Ritz

Last night, Brookline College had its annual Holiday and awards banquet at the Ritz Carlton.  It was formal attire, and it was expected that there would be 450-500 people.  I wanted to go with a mindset of having fun, even though I could have easily created many reasons to get in the way of that goal.  But I stayed true to the objective and am happy to report that I had a really good time! 

Some of the details:  the room was beautiful and the DJ was exceptionally good (even though he sounded just like Regis Philbin, which drove me nuts!)  For the most part, I thought the awards granted were well deserved.  The meal had a mixed green salad with candied walnuts and gorgonzola cheese, the main meal had the most delicious risotto with a small filet mignon, medallion of salmon and candied beets, and the dessert was the richest dark chocolate and raspberry concoction I have seen in a while. 

The best part for me was that I danced!  I really have not danced in years and it was tons of fun.  I was disappointed when the dancing ended at 11 PM (the event started at 6:30).  I was not tired at all, so Emily and I decided to go out somewhere else.  It was funny since we were way over dressed for everywhere else but we really didn't care.  We went to the Phoenician, and listened to some music.  It turns out there were some commentators at the bar from some College Football program there for the Fiesta Bowl and so she kept her eye on the celebs!  I wouldn't have known them from a hole in the wall, but even then, I am not usually much of a celebrity gawker.  We had a really good time relaxing and talking.  I dropped her off after the bar closed and got home at 2:30 PM!  I have not had a night like that in decades but I really enjoyed it.  Even better, I did not have one taste of alcohol so it was a safe evening with no morning repercussions except being tired!  In fact, I turned the lights off at 3 AM and woke up at 8 AM.  Now I am ready to go again.  I am so thankful that I had a fun night out!

No comments: