I realized that it has been quite a while since I made a journal entry. I have been falling into some old habits, but with new twists! What are the old habits? Well, I have been doing tons of traveling since the end of April. This has disrupted my schedule so I am missing yoga classes, getting lazy on my supplements, failing to walk Benny as much as he deserves and being very lazy when I am off work.
But things are not quite the same as in the past. First of all, I am getting much more social. I have been getting out and meeting and connecting with people. I had a great breakfast with a friend, Cathy, and we exchanged jigsaw puzzles. I have a lunch date on Sunday as well. I have been getting out and shopping with friends and actually having extended conversations with total strangers on airplanes! This kind of socialization has been absent in my life for decades, but I am slowly getting over those nervous feelings and actually doing it!
I had my second full flight conversation with a man in two weeks. While I tend to be very quiet (you probably can't believe it) on planes and just keep my head down, minding my own business, the last two trips have had me actively conversing with total strangers for hours. It actually made the flights feel so much shorter and enjoyable. This last conversation was with a gentleman that trains educators in the use of a software that assesses the best methods of learning for individual students. He was explaining how difficult it was to get people to change their ways and use these new tools. I gave him some of my insights into how I have been able to engage interest and spark motivation for a project and the conversation was very lively. He actually thanked me, saying that I had given him a lot of useful information that he was eager to try. We also talked yoga - he does classes every Saturday!
These new developments around the old activity of travel have been challenging but rewarding. I have always wanted to change; to evolve. But change is hard work and it requires continual commitment. That is something that has come and gone for me. But rather than be discouraged, I take heart in the fact that if it goes, it still comes back. I have never had IT go and not come back. So my changes come it fits and spurts, like my energy.
My doctor told me, after my physical, was that I was healthy and would probably live for another year. Good news because I am interested in seeing where I am 365 days from now. Well, now I need to hit a few of those other old habits - like cleaning and working in the yard!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yes it's great having friends and people to talk with. Glad you're able to connect with others around you.
Post a Comment