Sunday, November 1, 2009

Tempe is done!

I was shocked to notice that it has been so long since I had a blog entry! I guess I have been in the thick of doing, instead of writing about doing. It is a gorgeous Sunday afternoon, I have just been awakened from a great nap by a call from work. So I figured I would try to recap what has happened in the last month or two.
I did finish that first college campus and got everyone moved in three days. It has received great reviews from many and the move went off without a hitch. I have a great associate, Bob, who helped and I could not have done it without him. It is in Tempe AZ. I was responsible for managing the GC on a $1M tenant improvement of two adjacent buildings, buying materials, furniture and fixtures and finally moving from the old campus to the new. We had to gut one building and update the other. There were many surprises along the way, including issues with city inspections, two sewer main blockages, fire alarm installation issues, blah, blah, blah. Every challenge seems to get my adrenaline up and I get to conquer another hill!
There are also creative opportunities, when choosing some colors or finishes. My favorite was working on the landscaping of the courtyard. Obviously all of the work got done. Here are a few pictures.

This is the courtyard between the two buildings.
Another view, showing the artificial turf, benches and lobby doors.

A view of the lobby seating area. I was not a fan of keeping all of those slanted walls. I kept telling people that it felt like I was in Bedrock with the Flintstones.



More of Bedrock, when you look at the reception desk!


One of the corridors, looking clean and shiny!
For all of the congratulations, it was a downer to deal with some of the negative issues around working with people. Some of the employees had nothing but complaints, or were lazy about the move. One actually thought I was a contracted laborer and spoke to me in a way that no person should be spoken to, even if they are a laborer!
I have to say that I am happy it is done, that it came out well and that I can move on.
Now I am in the process of doing another one in Phoenix. This one is 50% larger and we are trying to get it done by Christmas! Yikes! Mission impossible or what?! Having said that, demo is underway, most furniture will be ordered by weeks end and we are trying to nail down the new equipment for this campus - a nursing lab.
They are budgeting for three next year, all out of state. I am not sure that I shall like that much because it will mean a lot of travel. But I am not looking too far forward right now. I am settling into living alone for the first time in my life - David moved out into an apartment downtown. I can't say I am totally alone, as I have Benny (a lab) and David's cat, Drea. In fact, it is impossible for me to sit quietly and watch TV without Drea pushing into my lap and making herself comfortable!
Now that weather is cooling down, I have been catching up with yard work and I have enjoyed watching John's soccer games on Saturdays. He had his last game of the season yesterday and it was their first victory. It was fun to seem them learn the basics of the game and finally start to work as a team.
I have not yet done much to develop a personal social life. I am enjoying the quiet and solitude - and independence. I think that work is so busy and hectic, with meeting so many people. The ladies tease me at work about the stream of men that come in and out of my office - construction people and vendors. When I get home, I just enjoy being by myself.
I have been reading, of course. Also thinking about vacation destinations. I don't forget that I have a bucket list, but haven't knocked anything off of it yet. It seems like there is time. I do know that one of my priorities is to stay healthy and the other is to make a friend locally. So far, I think I am on the right track. Now for the holidays = shopping, baking, celebrating, and also coping with change. I feel ready!

No comments: