May is chugging along as I get more used to the vagaries of consulting. No work, then a flurry of activity, then none again. I have started to pick up the pace, though, and every time I think I am just going to look for a permanent position, I get a sign to stay with what I am doing.
Mike gave me a book by Arianna Huffington (of the Huffington Post) called "Thrive". It is about redefining success by adding wellbeing to the traditional markers of success - money and power. I have not yet gone far in the book, but it is very interesting. Generally, these self help books tell us things we already know, and so far this is no different. However, even if we know these things, we rarely engage in them. I am hoping that this book spurs me to add some wellbeing into my life. It was really sweet of Mike to think of me and give me the book. I guess he doesn't want to see me develop work stress in my life.
I have been socializing a lot more than ever before; I had time with Mike and also three lunches just last week! This week I have a cocktail party to meet a candidate for State Attorney General. There will be a few people there that I know and quite a few that I won't. These events cause initial anxiety, but I generally go and have a good time. A lunch with a friend or two is usually more up my alley than a cocktail party, but I remain committed towards expanding my social horizons.
Tomorrow I need to go to some government office to get my passport done. I let it lapse so to get it renewed you have to go in person. One of my clients wanted to send me to London this week and I had to tell her I had no passport. I have another client that mentioned China. Not sure I would really like this travel, but I will get the passport and then see if anything materializes. The biggest part of stress is worrying about things that never happen, so I am going to avoid worrying for no reason. That reminds me of a quote that I read in the previously mentioned book - "The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." (William James)
May is a busy month with Mother's Day and many birthdays. Happy Birthday to all my friends and family that have May birthdays. Although I am not good with these types of days, you are all in my thoughts . . . Hope everyone has a great May!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment