Monday, November 15, 2010

Catching Up

My sister, Martha, put a Facebook message out there that I update my blog.  OK, OK!  I guess I have been way too busy and it looks like there is no change in sight.  I have some time this morning only because I am going back for day 2 of jury selection for my jury duty.  It meant I had to cancel a business trip to Albuquerque (boy I hate spelling that name!) and if I am selected, I will be out of the office possibly until Thanksgiving.

So what's happening at work??  Very busy.  We have a new COO so she would like the admissions areas restructured.  That means I am reworking all of the admissions areas with contractors and modular folks.  So far, I am in the planning stages with Phoenix and Tempe.  Albuquerque (there's that name again) underwent an overhaul this weekend and I am working on the final plans for an entire campus face lift for the Christmas break.  We just finished adding three classrooms to so extra space in Tucson, and I visited Dallas to examine a new campus building.  Since all of this construction needs to be complete yesterday, there will be lots of work and travel through the holidays. 

The HOA situation is nominally better.  The community voted out of office all Board members but me and the property managers (friends of those ex-Board members) gave 30-day notice to quit their contract.  All of Neighborhood Watch for 682 homes, the Board business and hostile property managers became my booby prize.  I solicited management company proposals and got 23 of them!  We had a special election and got some more new Board members.  So now we are slogging through reviewing proposals and trying to catch up on Association business.  We meet 1-2x each week.  We have met the last two Saturdays, will meet this Friday and next Monday before Thanksgiving.

There are members of the community still taking potshots at me or slandering me in public.  I have taken the tack of ignoring their comments in public so as not to add fuel to a dangerous fire.  We have had neighbors threaten to "cap" other neighbors and many of the meetings required police presence.  It is somewhat quieter but the continued attacks on my ethics and my integrity are very hurtful.  I have done much crying and reflecting.  It is truly a shame that volunteerism can not be a little more pleasant.  I will not run again in January.  I am done with serving on the Board because those who were voted out will not stop with the abuse, and I have no desire to spend another $1000 in lawyer's fees to try to get them to back off.  (Yes I spent $$$$ to try to stay on top of all this brouhaha!!)

Adam and Anya have been so supportive throughout this trial.  In fact, they go after Anya harder than they go after me because she ha been in their faces throughout, calmly challenging their actions.  These men do not appreciate women who challenge them, so you can imagine how we must bother them!  Thanks guys for being there and looking out for my safety!!

I attended John's and Ella's soccer games.  John had a losing season and Ella had an undefeated one.  Both of them really worked hard and got better as the season progressed.  They had a cheering and screaming Nana on the sidelines.  I have not forgotten all the old lines - when John got a ball to the groin, Nana said, "That's OK, play through it, you're fine."  So bad of me, but in my defense, Adam was saying the same thing!

I am trying to keep up with the yoga two times a week, but travel and HOA meeting have made a dent.  Benny gets 4:30 AM walks 3-5 times each week, and I will babysit the kids any chance I get.

I bought a new car a few months ago - a VW Jetta.  It is white with a beige interior and I am really enjoying it.  I get about 26 mpg which is awesome. 

I am exploring the details of taking a trip to Bhutan next  year.  It is in the Himalayan Mountains, which is the scary part for me because I am afraid of heights.  But it has been calling to me for 2-3 years now.  The trip I would like to take has much hiking, mostly up to monasteries on the cliffs so I feel that if I am going to try this, I need to get going before I am not physically able to do the hiking.  It is somewhat pricey, especially because you need to add airfare to Bangkok, but it is an adventure of a lifetime, so how can you put a price on that??  The groups are 2-12 people in size and I like the thought of a small group exploring a foreign country.  We shall see.

I have planted some winter vegetables - Swiss chard, red cabbage . . . Also got some flowers in for color over the winter.  I wish I had more time or energy, but I have been very drained form the HOA drama and it has been hard to get motivated to do anything.  I am looking forward to the holidays, so I am hoping that I pep up!

I can't think of anything else so off I go to get a conference call in with the architects before I report to jury duty.  I would be nice to here from others if they follow this blog.  Put your updates in the comments and then all can follow you as well!  Take care.

No comments: