Monday, June 8, 2009

Done

Well, it's final. According to an email from my attorney, the divorce was signed by the judge on June 2nd and officially recorded on June 5th, so I am officially a divorcee. It was a very weird moment of reading the news. Obviously I knew that it was going to happen and it was imminent. But it still caused a moment of surprise. It reminded it me of the moment I knew Dad had passed away; we knew it was going to happen but the exact moment was a surprise.

It is an appropriate analogy, because it is the death of a marriage. But there is still a relationship, it is just more remote and by our common connection through kids and grandkids. Some people believe in life after death, and in this regard, there is also life after. I have to say that even though I was surprised for a moment, I still feel (and perhaps even more so now) that this was the right thing to do for both of us. When people stay together, and things get more and more toxic, all of the right reasons to be together are eroded. To continue risks permanently damaging one or both parties.

I am very sorry that we came to this place, but I have to say that I am not sorry that I am moving in this direction - forward. I keep looking for that spot somewhere over the rainbow (my favorite song!)

No comments: